PM of Yemen's Houthi govt killed in Israeli attack

Aug 31, 2025

World
PM of Yemen's Houthi govt killed in Israeli attack

Sanaa [Yemen], August 31: Yemen's Houthis on Saturday confirmed reports that the Iran-allied militia's prime minister and other officials were killed in an Israeli airstrike unleashed earlier this week in the rebel-controlled capital Sana'a.
Prime Minister Ahmed Al Rahawi and a number of ministers were killed in the Israeli strike on Thursday, the militia said in a statement carried by the Houthi-controlled news agency Saba.
Other attendees sustained serious and moderate injuries while they were gathering at a government meeting.
The head of the Houthis' self-styled Supreme Political Council has tasked Mohammed Ahmed Maftah, who was the first deputy to the prime minister, to be now the acting prime minister, Saba reported.
Government institutions will continue to provide their services, the statement added.
In August last year, the Houthis named Al Rahawi as prime minister of their government that is not internationally recognized. However, Al Rahawi is believed to be a figurehead without any real authority.
The Israeli military said it attacked a Houthi military target in militia-controlled Sana'a on Thursday.
Since the start of the Gaza war in October 2023, the Houthis have regularly attacked Israel with missiles and drones in support of the Palestinian Hamas movement.
Israel has repeatedly targeted sites in Houthi-ruled areas in Yemen in response.
Source: Qatar Tribune